As I mentioned, our next major project is going to be the front bedroom. We’re going to do some major stuff in the back bedroom, making it into a master suite, but it’ll be one of the last projects we get to, probably even after the kitchen remodel. For the time being, the back bedroom is also our tool room, so having a renovated front bedroom where we can completely get away from all reno stuff will be a lovely little haven. We’ll probably get started on this project when the weather cools off a little, but let’s take a look at what the room looks like these days!
The door on the left leads to the hallway (and is directly opposite the upstairs bathroom door), while the door on the right is to the tiniest closet ever. Seriously, it is 9″ deep, you can’t even put a crossbar with hangers in there.
Which is why the previous owner probably installed this beauty in the alcove in the other corner of the room (same wall as the Tiny Closet). Because this house was split into two apartments for several years, the landlord must have felt she needed to provide a closet in the bedroom, since the other one barely counted. While we were pleased to have a place to actually hang stuff, we knew we’d be doing a lot of renovation before we got to installing closets with doors, so Tim suggested we buy some white temporary wardrobes, one of which is pictured here. They can be all zipped up to keep dust and other debris from migrating onto our clothes. I didn’t fully understand this until I demolished my first plaster room, but now I get it. Also, all of Tim’s clothes live in the front bedroom for now, while mine are in the office. It’ll be interesting to sleep in the same room as all of our clothing in the future.
It’s tough to tell the layout here, but the two closets tuck back on either side of the wall against which Tim’s wardrobe sits. Behind that wall is the brick chimney from the fireplace in the dining room (the front bedroom is directly over the dining room). We would love to knock out the tiny closet and the open wardrobe and build two proper closets in the resulting spaces, and then expose the brick along that wall. I keep envisioning some open shelving running across the brick with lovely picture frames and vases and stuff on them (but not cluttered). I am eager to get the plaster down and see what condition the brick is in.
That window is huge and it is busted. Something in the mechanism is wrong, so when you pull the (VERY HEAVY) replacement window up, it slams back down. We’ve had to prop it open a few times to climb out onto the porch roof below for gutter work, and it makes me nervous that we’ll get trapped out there, heh. We’re intending to replace all of the windows in the house, because our first two projects have demonstrated they haven’t been installed correctly, but even just for safety reasons, that sucker has got to go. We’ll probably keep a nice big window here to let lots of light in, though. We’re also considering some awning windows high on the other wall in this picture, to let in more light and air. Like the perfect architecture nerd that I am, I keep referring to them as clerestory windows, and I can’t wait to pick them out. (Look, Mom and Dad, that bachelor’s degree hasn’t gone to waste!) For a good idea of the size of this room, the futon here unfolds into a queen size bed, so there’s actually quite a bit of room in here.
And finally, the last corner of the room. The map of DC is hanging on the same wall we want to put the new windows in. You can see from the end of the futon to the wall, there’s still quite a bit of space, this is a reasonably-sized room, which is pretty sweet. You may wonder why we have a map hanging on the wall, since I mentioned that we haven’t really taken the time to decorate any walls yet.
Yup, that’s why, we’re totally covering a hole in the wall. (I snapped these pictures last fall, when my parents were on their way for a visit, since the room was going to be pretty clean. While the hole in the wall doesn’t bother Tim or me a lot, it’s kind of janky to put our guests in a room where the plaster is literally falling down, heh. So we covered it!) We found out that there are some weak spots in our plaster when we had some blown-in insulation installed shortly after we moved in. (We took advantage of an energy audit, which scored us a few low-flow shower heads and a programmable thermostat, as well as discounts on some energy-efficient work they recommended after the audit.) Tim was home while the insulation was being added and he said when the installers realized what had happened on the wall, they turned the machine off and they all went in to check it out. The room apparently looked like a mini blizzard had hit, because the insulation was flying all around. This room definitely needs all of the plaster to come down and drywall put up, but there are a few rooms in the house where it’s still in decent shape and we may not need to touch it. For sure, this will be one messy project, but it’ll look miles better when it’s all done!